Claire de la Varre
Education and qualifications
- 2022 OMNI Designated Certification Instructor
- 2021 Hypnotherapy Supervisor certificate
- 2020 Human Givens Practitioner Diploma (UK) – Psychotherapist
- 2017 Advanced Integrative Therapy Practitioner Certification
- 2015 Facilitator Training for Rape Crisis/Domestic Violence Survivors
- 2012 PhD Educational Psychology, University of North Carolina (dual focus: online learning and child/adolescent development and disability)
- 2011 National Guild of Hypnotists – Certified Instructor
- 2010 Certified Transactional Analysis Practitioner
- 2008 National Guild of Hypnotists – Consulting Hypnotist. Trained by Ron Eslinger and opened a part-time private practice.
- 2000 Master of Science in Information Science, University of North Carolina
- 1986 Bachelor of Science in General Science, St Andrews University, Scotland
I first learned to hypnotise after seeing a paediatrician on TV working with asthmatic children to calm anxiety, when I was 16. I tested a simple balloon induction on the kids I was babysitting at the time and was surprised that it worked so well! Once I got to university, I expanded my hypnosis repertoire and was regularly hypnotising my flat mates for fun – with their full permission, of course!
In 2011, the year I was certified as a hypnosis instructor with the NGH, I became the first hypnotist in the United States to advertise on the social media marketing platforms Groupon and Living Social. I gained 128 new clients in two days and my business exploded! I made the leap to being a professional hypnotist with a full-time private practice. I have been in my current location in Chapel Hill, North Carolina since 2013.
In 2015 I collaborated with colleague Dr. Jim Beck of the University of North Carolina School of Dentistry to open a hypnosis clinic for anxious patients. As word spread that there was a hypnosis clinic at the university, I started to see child and adolescent clients referred to me from pediatric gastroenterology, with functional bowel disorders. This remains a specialty of mine. Sadly, the clinic closed in 2018.
I was lucky to be able to take the OMNI Basic to Advanced training co-taught by Jerry Kein and Hansruedi Wipf in 2015. This was one of Jerry’s last classes.
Between 2017 and 2020 I trained as a psychotherapist in the UK and during the pandemic I moved back to my home country of Scotland, where I now live and work for part of the year.
I love, love, love hypnosis and wish more people would consult a hypnotist as a first instead of a last option when something is wrong. I am excited to be an OMNI instructor and look forward to working with you!
Claire de la Varre